|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Wednesday
|
|
18 February, 2026 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
FDA's vaccines chief Vinay Prasad is coming under fire again. The agency reversed course on his overrule from last week, telling Moderna that it will review the company's mRNA-based flu vaccine. Read more below on why this expedited Type A meeting wasn't typical. |
|
|
|
Zachary Brennan |
Senior Editor, Endpoints News
@ZacharyBrennan
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
by Zachary Brennan
|
The decision by the FDA on Wednesday to reverse course and review Moderna's flu vaccine application was the result of a meeting Tuesday between an unusual group of senior FDA leaders and Moderna, with the
FDA leaders walking back their boss’ overruling, according to two sources familiar with the meeting. The reversal was not based on previous data or the new submission, according to an FDA senior leader with direct knowledge of Moderna's application. In the meeting, three senior leaders in the agency's Office of Vaccines Research and Review, including the office director David Kaslow, walked back their refuse-to-file (RTF) letter sent last week. CBER Director Vinay Prasad had overruled Kaslow and review staff in making the decision to issue the letter. | |
|
|
|
|
|
|
by Max Bayer
|
Moderna said that the FDA will review the company’s flu vaccine after all, now that the two sides agreed to an amended filing. The company said Wednesday that following a type A
meeting with US regulators, it will apply for standard approval in the 50 to 64 age group and accelerated approval in adults 65 and older. It will conduct a post-marketing study in the older age group to produce additional clinical data. The FDA set an Aug. 5 deadline to decide on both submissions, and if approved, Moderna said mRNA-1010 could be available for the upcoming flu season. | |
|
|
|
|
|
|
by Zachary Brennan, Max Bayer
|
Vinay Prasad, the head of the FDA’s vaccines and biologics office, is back in the news after his controversial decision to reject Moderna’s flu vaccine, as well as allegations in the Wall Street
Journal that he is facing multiple personnel complaints inside the agency. According to the WSJ, Prasad has been the subject of internal complaints that include “sexual harassment, retaliation against subordinates and verbally berating staff.” The WSJ cited unnamed sources, who also described substantial travel expenses incurred by Prasad. A senior FDA leader who requested anonymity told Endpoints News that Prasad has assigned certain subordinates meaningless tasks and has verbally attacked staff. Prasad didn’t respond to a request for comment, and HHS and FDA also didn’t respond. | |
|
|
|
|
|
|
by Max Gelman
|
The rejection of Disc Medicine’s rare disease treatment marks the first negative outcome of the FDA's controversial voucher program and suggests drugs that are selected won't be guaranteed an approval. Disc's bitopertin was an early test case of the Commissioner's National Priority Voucher (CNPV) program, a pilot that
aims to significantly shorten the typical 10- to 12-month review times. The FDA said in a complete response letter from Friday that it had questions about the biomarker intended to be used for accelerated approval. Analysts viewed the rejection as a surprise, particularly since Disc was one of the first companies to get the voucher. | |
|
|
|
|
|
|
by Zachary Brennan
|
Drug companies and industry groups are pushing back on the Trump administration’s proposals to make it easier for more prescription drugs to be available over the counter. While touted by FDA Commissioner Marty Makary as a way to lower drug costs and increase access, industry — in comments submitted this month to the agency — is making
clear that the prices of OTC drugs may eclipse generic drug prices, especially as insurance is often not accepted for OTC drugs. “Despite FDA’s intent to decrease costs and increase access to medications, the shift of many prescription drugs to nonprescription status could actually increase costs to patients, thereby decreasing patient access to treatments,” the Association for Accessible Medicines, the generic industry group, said in a comment from Feb. 2. | |
|
|
|
|
|
|
by Nicole DeFeudis
|
AbbVie is suing CMS for picking Botox for the third round of Medicare negotiations, making it the first drugmaker to challenge the upcoming cycle in court. In a lawsuit filed Wednesday in Washington, DC, AbbVie said plasma-derived products are meant by law to be excluded from IRA negotiations. The company argued that because its
Botox products contain human serum albumin, which is sourced from donor plasma, “CMS has no authority” to select it. HHS did not immediately respond to a request for comment. AbbVie also argued due process and free speech violations, and said the negotiation process would amount to a taking of its property without just compensation. The company asked the court to set aside Botox’s selection for negotiations and block CMS from “applying the drug-pricing provisions of the IRA to
Botox.” | |
|
|
|
|
|