On Sept. 16, 2025, a man with a history of voyeurism convictions pleaded guilty to stalking and harassing several women in Montreal.
Dubbed the “McGill Ghetto stalker,” the man’s actions were the subject of reporting from The Gazette’s Harry North. For nearly a month, an unidentified voyeur had been peering through the windows of a downtown McGill sorority house, terrifying its young female occupants.
At the time, the women said they were advised by police to install lights and security cameras outside their home, and officers visited the area multiple times – but to no avail. The victims, who captured their harasser’s face on video, felt their concerns were largely dismissed by law enforcement: “They just told us to call back if it happened again.”
As the story unfolded, North was reminded of a similar case from years earlier. With the help of Gazette crime reporter Paul Cherry, he dug up the record of 39-year-old Stefan Donald Campagna, a man who was arrested in 2022 for harassing students in that same neighbourhood. North put the women in touch with one of Campagna’s former victims, who confirmed his identity from the video.
Armed with this new information, the women returned to the police and suggested that their harasser was Campagna – and they were right. He was arrested just a few days after The Gazette report was published. Several months later, he was sentenced to three-and-a-half years in prison for his crimes.
|
|
|
Gregory Shamus/Getty Images |
|
|
As journalists, it’s our job to connect the dots, whether in the pages of a newspaper or behind the scenes. These connections can profoundly affect people’s lives, and it's a responsibility that The Gazette and its reporters take seriously.
We will continue to pursue the facts, hold institutions accountable, and provide our readers with reporting that makes a tangible difference in our community.
Thank you for supporting journalism that supports you.
|
|
|
|