Here are our top 6 news headlines in the Boston area today

View in browser

 

Today's Top Headlines

Tuesday, May 19

Received this email from a friend? Sign up here.

Good morning Wypierdalaj,

 

1

FIRST ALERT: Potentially record-setting heat with a side of thunderstorms

An early-season hot spell is underway! We’ll fall short of an official heat wave in Boston with “only” two consecutive days of 90+ (three is needed in New England), but it will feel every bit like a midsummer scorcher.

Records will fall today (90) and tomorrow (91) as the heat index – what it feels like with the heat and humidity combined – peaks in the mid-90s. Cooler 70s will be found on the Cape/Islands, but even there, the humidity will remain high.

Thunderstorms may form later this afternoon and into the first part of the evening, fueled by the heat and humidity. Today they’ll be focused north of a line from Plymouth to Taunton all the way up to Southern New Hampshire. Not everyone will see the storms, but where they hit, they may be strong – or possibly severe. Keep an eye to the sky in the afternoon.

Full story
2

What we know about the San Diego shooting victims, suspects, possible motive and more

Two teenage gunmen are believed to have killed three people at a San Diego mosque Monday before they took their own lives, authorities said.

Investigators are working to determine a motive, but the San Diego police chief said the violence was being investigated as a possible hate crime.

Chief Scott Wahl said the event was “every community’s worst nightmare.”

Full story
3

Boston beefing with MBTA over planned World Cup street closure, report says

The city of Boston and the MBTA are clashing over the planned closure of a street near South Station during Massachusetts’ FIFA World Cup matches.

According to the Boston Globe, it all started with a letter from the MBTA to Boston city officials last week saying it is “imperative” that a two-block stretch of Summer Street next to South Station be closed for 10-hour stretches during the seven matches in June and July.

But Boston city officials are calling it an “inappropriate use of eminent domain to bypass the permitting process,” in a letter to the MBTA.

Full story
4

Democratic National Committee visits Boston as city bids for 2028 convention

Boston wants to be the center of Democrats’ political universe before the 2028 presidential election.

Members of the Democratic National Committee are touring Boston this week as the city looks to secure the 2028 Democratic National Convention, where the party will officially nominate its candidate for president.

Back in March, Boston was named as one of five “frontrunner cities” to host the 2028 convention. Atlanta, Chicago, Denver and Philadelphia are the other four finalists.

Full story
5

Police say McDonald's manager in Mass. spit in fries, served them to customer

A former McDonald’s manager shown in a viral video contaminating food is facing a criminal charge after police say she spit in a french fry carton and placed several french fries in her mouth before serving those fries to a customer.

A video went viral on Snapchat earlier this month showing a worker at a McDonald’s in Southbridge stuffing french fries in her mouth and then putting them into a McDonald’s french fry box. A second employee was holding the box and laughing in the background. The video has not been independently verified by NBC10 Boston, but Southbridge police issued a statement after it went viral saying that they were aware of the video and were investigating. The Telegram & Gazette said both employees were suspended and eventually fired.

After an investigation, Southbridge police say Kaylie Santos, 22, of Southbridge, who worked as a manager at the McDonald’s, will be issued a summons to Dudley District Court for the charge of distributing food with a harmful substance. The police report says Santos spit in the french fry carton on the night of April 9 and placed several french fries in her mouth and then into the french fry carton before serving them to a customer at the drive thru window. The customer later confirmed that she ate the contaminated food.

Full story
6

ATF joins investigation into Maine lumber mill explosion and fire

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives National Response Team (ATF NRT) is in Maine assisting with the investigation into a deadly fire and explosion at a lumber mill on Friday.

The incident at Robbins Lumber mill in Searsmont left a 27-year-old firefighter dead and 11 other people hurt, many in critical condition.

ATF will work with the Office of State Fire Marshal on the investigation, offering specialized resources including forensic scientists, electrical engineers, computer modeling experts, and additional fire investigation personnel, state officials said.

Full story
<